Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Historical Derby Comparisons (332 Views)

May 09, 2022 05:44AM
I looked back at a few previous running to find some comparables. The obvious ones are when Mine That Bird won and the one in the rain when another pacesetter went kamikazi.

But first, In some ways the 2016 edition in which Nyquist beat Exaggerator, GunRunner, and Mohayman. Both versions had a rabbit and went fast. Only the best of the best Nyquist and Gunnrunner were able to preserver after attending Danzig Candy's (Mike Smith's) pace. But no rail running bomb.

Now to the 2009 Mine That Bird, Pioneer of The Nile, Musket Man, and Papa Clem version. Judging 2009 may be beyond me. Not particularly fast by the raw time. But the track was sloppy and sealed. Noteworthy In that a mostly unknown colt jumped up and got an advantageous trip which won out over conventional tactics.

In 2013 Palace Malice, also on a sloppy sealed tracks goes quarter hose and chaos reigns supreme. Orb comes from 17th to win, beating a bevy of run late efforts like Golden Soul, Revolutionary, and Normandy Invasion. Some who chose to chase Palace Malice such as Verrazano, Vyjack flopped only Oxbow ran a reasonable race.

As I posted before the race the way to beat an early speed type is to have them run too fast too soon and that is exactly what happened this year. I suppose the Japanese contingent got what they wanted Publicity and an invitation to the Met Mile. Additionally veterans Mike Smith and John Velazques probably just did what they were asked to do. Attend the pace you've got the fastest horse. Not really knowing how good Crown Pride actually was. I would have expected contingencies but I guess they were one-trick ponies so to speak.

IMO, It's Unlikely Rich Strike ever gets a similar race setup so I don't expect a string of victories from him. Somebody tell trainer Reed he doesn't have to go for the Triple Crown a Derby Belmont double would be historic.

Do the Yakteen trainees stay on the 3 Y/O Classics Quest.
Subject Author Posted

Historical Derby Comparisons (332 Views)

Tavasco May 09, 2022 05:44AM

Re: Historical Derby Comparisons (286 Views)

johnnym May 09, 2022 09:57AM

Re: Historical Derby Comparisons (281 Views)

Fairmount1 May 10, 2022 12:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login