Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pletcher (804 Views)

April 21, 2017 01:36AM
It all clicked to me about Pletcher today when I read this story. Finally he provided some clarity to something many of us have speculated.

This is why I just can't pick a TAP horse to win the KD. It's not just the 1 for 45 stat...but his approach. He clearly focuses on getting his owners into the starting gate for the KD for the experience...not focusing on the winners circle. He preps them to ensure they qualify via their final prep to enable his owners to get the KD experience, and each year his horses under-perform in the big race. His comments in this story validate our assumptions...as it appears to be his business model:

"We've kind of always taken the approach that this race is the reason why a lot of people are in the business. To have that opportunity, to have a potential starter in the Kentucky Derby, it means a lot to the owners," Pletcher said. "Part of the excitement for us is to see the enjoyment and the excitement that the owners get having a participant in the Derby, participating in the race, participating in the walkover, the post-position draw. It's a very, very exciting time."

[cs.bloodhorse.com]
Subject Author Posted

Pletcher (804 Views)

jwbcardinals April 21, 2017 01:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login