Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (522 Views)

March 24, 2020 03:08AM
Richie, always a pleasure reading your musings on any subject. You provide enough food for thought to feed a family of ten academicians. In such a gathering, I would be relegated to the children's table.

I grew up with the raucous holiday gatherings of an extended Italian family, and dinner was a full day's work, and my eldest aunt, the matriarchal figure, would literally stay up all night cooking, and my grandfather would roast a full pig. Since the only English he spoke was a nuanced grunt, I had no way of ever ascertaining what part of the pig I was eating.

As an adult, with considerable shrinkage of family gatherings, I liked nothing better on Christmas Day than a drive in freshly fallen snow, with not a hint of commercial distraction, a very welcome relief after the mad dash on Christmas Eve to complete the shopping of a chronic procrastinator. It is eerie to once again experience that solitude, now feeling closer and closer to desolation, as we had recently moved to the heart of a mid-sized city so that we could be closer to its pulse. Now, there is barely a hint of a pulse.

Since this is a racing board, to your litany of complaints and observations about the nature of the game, of course you are right. Except for a smattering of well-intentioned scattered efforts, there are few meaningful efforts made to reach the core of the customer base. If 5-2 M/L horses (and legitimately so) can go off at 3-5, with most of the money pouring in as they near the gate, and we're talking about large pools, and the horse wins by double digit lengths, it will barely generate a "meh" from the front office if it fills the coffers. The average horse player does not move the meter in such circumstances, but bread and circuses will be offered if it helps to sell bread and circuses. As for the treatment of animals and indifference to many workers, the sport is lucky it doesn't receive more flack than it already does.

To your point about optimism, if someone in a position of authority right now offers that as the company line, I'll want to see the analytics. I won't understand them, but I want them on the table. To my uninformed mind, we are extrapolating from 4 1/2 furlong races for two year olds at Finger Lakes to how they would perform in a mile and a half turf race. Still as two year olds. If this doesn't define a fluid situation, then stop using the term. Having said all that, if some individual chooses optimism as his or her go-to emotion, I couldn't care any more about that than the color of the shirt he is wearing. It's in the wiring. However, if they insist that you be optimistic, too, then they should move on to the next house of worship. On an individual basis, it's fairly benign, and some would say, even good for you. I occasionally try it on for size if for no other reason than it's free.

I guess the question of the hour is how much will Passover resemble Christmas, this year.
Subject Author Posted

I Always Hated Christmas Day (1437 Views)

richiebee March 23, 2020 08:51AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (653 Views)

johnnym March 23, 2020 10:02AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (615 Views)

richiebee March 23, 2020 11:04AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (615 Views)

johnnym March 23, 2020 11:59AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (638 Views)

richiebee March 23, 2020 12:16PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (460 Views)

Chas04 March 24, 2020 10:37AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (699 Views)

FrankD. March 23, 2020 10:16AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (585 Views)

BB March 23, 2020 12:44PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (750 Views)

TGJB March 23, 2020 01:17PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (685 Views)

Dick Powell March 23, 2020 02:17PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (569 Views)

Boscar Obarra March 23, 2020 05:53PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (582 Views)

Tavasco March 23, 2020 07:07PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (537 Views)

Boscar Obarra March 23, 2020 07:15PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (522 Views)

moosepalm March 24, 2020 03:08AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (491 Views)

Socalman3 March 24, 2020 03:53AM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (493 Views)

JohnTChance March 24, 2020 04:48PM

Re: I Always Hated Christmas Day (459 Views)

billk5300s March 26, 2020 01:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login