Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re:HP: Figures vs. HK teams (1258 Views)

March 14, 2002 09:02PM
HP: Go back if you would to our exchange of 3/11. The pt I raise re the Wired article is that conceptually, the handicapping approach of the HK teams is not all that different from what a select few among sheet players are already doing on their own. The biggest difference is that the sheet players are using figs & fig handicapping concepts instead of the 130 factors of some of the HK teams.

In the 3/11 post you confirmed that, like me, you take into consideration certain factors in the context of a specific race to make a judgment re whether each horse is an overlay to go fwd, bkwds, or remain the same. As I understand it, that's what the cutting edge players are doing as well, except they are not content to do a rough calculation in their head.

The programs they use start with a judgment regarding each horse's stage of development & approx. % chance of improving, pairing, and/or running a gd no. in relation to the horse's effective top. This info, along with the effective top itself, the horse's weight(don't even think of going there), & the horse's post position are used in a large no. simulation to determine how many times each horse would win if the race was run, say, 20k times, which is then used to calc a true odds line.

A major advantage of this approach is that it forces you to make decisions which should be made in evey race. It also allows you to take advantage of a database which even the most experienced player cannot match, while getting the benefit of the "law of large nos." Pretty damn clever, if you ask me.
Subject Author Posted

Betting teams wired for mutuel success? (2201 Views)

derby1592 March 14, 2002 02:57AM

Re: Betting teams wired for mutuel success? (1175 Views)

David Kearns March 14, 2002 02:34PM

Re: Betting teams wired for mutuel success? (1259 Views)

HP March 14, 2002 03:07PM

Re: Betting teams wired for mutuel success? (1258 Views)

TGJB March 14, 2002 06:37PM

Re:HP: Figures vs. HK teams (1258 Views)

Mall March 14, 2002 09:02PM

Re:HP: Figures vs. HK teams (1243 Views)

David Kearns March 14, 2002 09:56PM

Re:HP: Figures vs. HK teams (1226 Views)

HP March 15, 2002 11:27AM

Re:HP: Figures vs. HK teams (1262 Views)

David Kearns March 21, 2002 06:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login