Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 Qs for JB/AB & 1 Message for the Dittos (1999 Views)

February 10, 2002 03:01PM
First the Qs, which I understand in advance might be viewed as a distraction for those involved in the time-consuming & demanding task of running a business, something I happen to know a little bit about. However, in a few hrs I'm leaving on a 9 day trip to a no-internet access locale(no doubt welcome news to some), which should give you an opportunity to fit these Qs into your busy schedules.
(1)My reason for the detailed rejoinder to the decision to summarily dismiss KAN as a Donn contender was because it appeared(correct me if I'm wrong) to be based on the "8 weeks to recover from a top" theory which, if true, surprised me a great deal. My memory, which is concededly not perfect, is that this idea originated with Robes many yrs ago & while I respect his & your handicapping acumen, the Q I have had from the start & which remains unanswered to this day is this: Where exactly is the hard evidence which supports the general rule, let alone its broad application in a wide variety of circumstances, including cases where the horse's line(i.e.KAN) shows just the opposite? The only "answer" I have ever heard, again many yrs ago, is that the theory is based on a reading of many sheets. In contrast, trainers & vets say, and have been quoted many times as saying, that some horses thrive & improve on frequent racing, which used to be called taking a regular turn. It is something players confront on a regular basis in the figures themselves. Absent supporting evidence, it seems to this handicapper that the "8 week" rule is in serious need of rexamination.
(2)The weight discussion was entertaining, but there is obviously nothing anyone can say which impacts the laws of physics, which is why I solicited the opinion of someone in the field. His preliminary off-the-top opinion was enough, in my view at least, to cast doubt on a fundamental assumption, raising the same Q re supporting evidence. Conceptually, I question the continued use of what very well may turn out to be insignificant weight differences to split hairs among very evenly matched horses.
In this Chinese yr of the horse, my message to the Dittos, a few of which I have come to think of as "Jerry's Kids", is one which permeates my posts: Ask questions. Be skeptical of theories based on the assumption that one size fits all. Above all, try thinking for yourself for a change. In the end, your will enjoy this great sport of ours so much more, especially when you're right.
Subject Author Posted

2 Qs for JB/AB & 1 Message for the Dittos (1999 Views)

Mall February 10, 2002 03:01PM

Re: (1865 Views)

tgab February 12, 2002 06:26PM

Re: Encouraging Response (1325 Views)

Mall February 20, 2002 06:30PM

Re: Provocative comments (1389 Views)

Alydar in California February 20, 2002 11:38PM

Re: (1339 Views)

Mall February 21, 2002 08:54PM

Re: Joe McCarthy? (1404 Views)

Alydar in California February 22, 2002 08:33AM

Re: Alydar: Huh? (1409 Views)

Mall February 25, 2002 02:29PM

Re: (6794 Views)

Alydar in California February 26, 2002 08:37AM

Re: (1412 Views)

Richie February 26, 2002 11:21AM

Re: (1333 Views)

TGJB February 26, 2002 03:46PM

Re: Pt By Pt Rebuttal (1535 Views)

Mall February 26, 2002 07:30PM

Re: (1305 Views)

Alydar in California February 27, 2002 08:04AM

Re: (1368 Views)

HP February 27, 2002 12:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login